Saturday, December 30, 2006

We're Home (warning: poo ahead)

So we made it back from our holiday travel in one piece (each). The baby girl did a great job on the airplane flights. She seems to prefer sleeping through the short flights (Atlanta to Tri-Cities and back) and being awake through the long ones (Cedar Rapids to Atlanta and back).

Both the Professor and I also got to experience the joy of changing a baby's diaper mid-flight in an airplane bathroom. This isn't something I thought much about before having a baby. In fact I personally avoid airplane bathrooms as much as I possibly can - I can't remember the last time I used one for myself. (I had the same policy about the bathrooms on charter buses - they were only for desperate emergencies in my opinion.) In case you feel similarly and haven't visited an airplane bathroom, let me tell you, they're small.

The Professor had the joy of trying this on the first leg of our journey. He was fairly speedy, but there were still 3 people waiting in line for the bathroom by the time he finished. I was both more and less lucky at the same time.

Last night we were seated right in front of the bathroom, so we didn't have far to go to get there. However, we'd been waiting for a poo extravaganza (it had been about a day and a half). We thought we'd gotten that taken care of before we left for the airport, but sadly we were mistaken. Not long after the plane took off we realized that we were in for an interesting experience.

Since the Professor had been kind enough to do the first mid-flight change, I took this one. Not only was it a very full diaper, but it had leaked onto her clothes. So at one point I had wipes and a change of clothes for her precariously balanced on a tiny sink (which meant her clothes got wet), her old pants (not dirty that I could see) between my knees, her socks in my pocket, her pacifier clipped to my shirt and tucked into it (so it wouldn't get dirty), and a naked baby in my arms so I could look in the mirror to see if I'd cleaned her up completely. I know. That's a dangerous thing to do. Oh, and she was screaming.

I managed to get her diaper on and her new onesie over her head before I gave up and handed her out of the bathroom door to the Professor. Whew! At least I managed to come through it unscathed, which I had thought was only a 50/50 shot going in.

Anyway, our little girl did great overall, and she wasn't even the youngest baby on a couple of our flights. We've got lots of kid and baby stories from the airports - amazing how differently I see things now! But most of all, we had a great time visiting family. Thanks to you all for letting us crash with you and feeding us, and reminding us why we're so thankful to have you as family.

Love you!

No comments: