Saturday, May 17, 2008

Two

So once again it's been ages since we last updated, despite our best intentions. It's hard to say why writing here hasn't been as easy for me as I expected. It's such a great way to let you all know what's going on in our lives, yet I find it difficult to know what to write. Do you care what we have for lunch or if we went to the grocery store? Or should I save it for the more important or significant events - first words, steps, births, deaths? My ambiguity about what this space should be is what causes the posts to be so far and few between.


But I'm here now, and yet again I want to post more often, so we'll see how things go.


The biggest thing that's happened to us in the last 5 months is this:

We are now the proud parents of TWO daughters - our lovely M who is 20 months old today, and the beautiful A who was born April 28.

It has been an interesting adjustment becoming a mom of two kids. I find myself torn in so many ways. I want to do what's best for both of them, but there have already been times when what's best for one seems contradictory to what's best for the other. I love them both more than I ever could have imagined though.

M's vocabulary has exploded lately. We've counted over 100 words that we can understand, and there are times when she babbles away in what sound like sentences in some other language. She's adjusting to the presence of "baby sister" (which she can say, though she has yet to attempt to say A's name). Occasionally she tries to smack her - usually when A's on one of our laps and M wants to be there instead. But generally none of her behaviour seems intentionally malicious - mostly she tries to give her things (blankets, toys) or hug & kiss her, so more than anything we have to protect A from M's enthusiasm.

A herself seems like an incredibly easy baby. She sleeps for two - three hours at a stretch; she nurses like a champ, and when she's awake she's typically very alert & calm. We've started calling her "bright eyes" since her eyes are open so wide and she looks around so much. She has a dimple in her right cheek, and she still seems tiny (though she's already around 9 lbs). I suppose both of my girls will always seem little to me, no matter how grown up they get.

Well, so that's the news from here. We have two beautiful, amazing little girls, and we're incredibly blessed to have them.

No comments: