Thursday, December 08, 2005

So how's the weather down there?

OK, so I totally feel like the ultimate cliche. But all I can talk about to anyone lately is the weather. It isn't that there's nothing else to talk about, it's just that I can't stop talking about how unfair it is that we're all cold and snowy and it isn't even winter yet!

To top it all off no one in the rest of the country seems to care that we're freezing our little bunny tails off. It's big news when a storm hits the northeast, but that same storm dumped inches of snow on us first! And then left us with "arctic air" (I swear that's what the weather map said) in it's wake. Isn't there supposed to be a point at which it's too cold to snow? That's what I always thought. Until now. It's currently 9 degrees and snowing. We're supposed to get another 2 - 4 inches today on top of the 6 ish or more we still have because we haven't seen double digit temperatures in days. (unless you count the -17 degrees - not wind chill - that's the actual temperature - we had yesterday morning when the Professor walked to school. that's right - walked to school. He's hard core. Ask him about the icicles in his facial hair.)

Sorry. I just can't stop ranting about this. You'd think after spending 4 years in Massachusetts and another 5 in Illinois I would be over the whole cold/snow thing. But apparently I'm not. I'm just a southern girl at heart, and I'm freezing.

Here's some photographic evidence in case you think I'm just a whiner:

The Professor pausing while shoveling snow.



The current view from our front porch. Take 1



The current view from our front porch. Take 2



Proof that the cats actually tolerate each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Anne,

In 1996 we went more than 150 hours in Minnesota without getting above zero. That stretch overlapped with the record low temperature for the contiguous 48 states, -60 degrees F in Tower, Minn. Yikes!

-Nolan

Anonymous said...

Just found your pics & weather comments ~ enjoyed readin' 'em more than you're enjoyin' havin' em! :)

We watch the weather for IA but the weather man always stands in front of FL so we can't see it! :(

Our MO temps have been up & down. Guess "variety is the spice of life" could apply to weather! Maybe an inch of snow 2 diff times...lowest so far was 3 degrees, lots of 30s & 40s...and wind. Always have wind, cold wind, hot wind, dry wind, rainy wind...

happy ho ho ho!