So only about two days before people start to arrive for the great Thanksgivingpalooza! Yay! I went shopping today and even just buying the food for the weekend had me all excited. (By the way Mom, I'll be calling you for the list of the stuff you add to the dressing. I'm not sure I remember it all.)
Other than that life continues as always. I tend to come up with these great ideas for what to post here, and then I forget them - oh wait. Now I remember.
Two random stories from our life the last week that you might find interesting.
The first is our garage door saga (subtitled: Home Depot sucks). So ever since we first saw this house we knew we would replace the garage door. We thought that we'd probably do it sooner than a year after we moved in, but what are you going to do? So a couple of weeks ago we went to Home Depot and picked out what we wanted and made the big jump and actually bought it. For some backstory, we've been going to home stores and browsing the garage doors for awhile now, so we had a good idea of what we wanted.
The first time we went to the old HD (a couple of months ago I think) we were hanging out by the display and a guy came over to ask if he could help us with anything. We said we were interested in garage doors, and then he proceeded to stand between the Prof & I with his back to me and address all of his conversation to the Prof only. Maybe he didn't know we were together, or maybe he didn't want to bother my pretty little head with silly things like garage doors, but I was midly annoyed to say the least.
However, the HD offers installation and Menard's doesn't, so we went back to HD. (We're not brave enough to take down the old door, or mess with the springs on a new one, so there you go.) Once we had our door picked we had to wait FOREVER (I think we're still waiting actually) to talk to a salesperson to actually order it. There was one guy working in the entire windows/doors department and he was with a customer. So we waited and waited and waited. While we waited some random guy (not from HD) kept giving us unwanted garage door advice. I think he was a spy from another store, because he kept telling us how expensive the prices were at HD, how we can get more information on-line, and all about the Rf values of the doors and windows. A little weird, but maybe we should have listened to him.
So we finally get to talk to someone to order and buy our garage door, and it takes awhile for him to figure out how to do that. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for someone working in that department to know how to order a door, but what do I know? We got everything except the windows we wanted. He didn't know why he couldn't find them, and so we just picked the right price and made a note to ask us when the installer came out to measure.
A week after we got the door ordered, George came to measure our garage. He's an independent business that contracts with HD to do installations. His business card says "Garage Doors by George". I just love that, though I can't really explain why. He's great, and everything's great with the garage except that he didn't know what to put for the windows either. So we had to back to the HD again.
We went back on Sunday, and after waiting for another eternity (since again only one guys was there) we found that apparently no one there knows why we couldn't figure out how to order the windows we wanted. So we had to call back the next day to talk to their "Install Expediter". I love that title too. What a great job name! She was great though - she called the company and circumvented a growing catch-22: the company was telling her they couldn't help because it hadn't been ordered, but we couldn't order it until we figured out the window problem. It's fixed now - though apparently we can't get the windows we wanted with the door we wanted. Eh, at this point I'm just happy to not have to worry about it anymore. Until 4 weeks from now anyway when we'll have to deal with the actual installation. hopefully that won't be so bad.
If anyone's actually still reading after that long boring story, here's a short weird story. If you ever want to get a free lunch at IHOP, order a salad. Apparently the salad fixings are kept above the chocolate milk. if you find a plastic ring from a chocolate milk jub in your salad, your whole table wins a free lunch! At least, that's what happened to us on Sunday.
That's about it. Looking foward to the weekend! Though if you're curious about the title of this post, check out the 10-day weather forecast. See (most of) you soon!
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment